Tax Return 2023 FAQs; Your Questions, Answered!

Tax Return 2023 FAQs; Your Questions, Answered!

Tax Return is a legal obligation that every business and person must lodge in Australia; this is something you cannot avoid. It’s not scary if you do it right. We at Grow Advisory Group have helped many clients with business tax returns and personal tax returns and got a decent chunk of hard-earned cash land back in their bank account each year.

If you have stumbled on this page searching for tax return advice, or the answer to a pressing tax return question, you’ll probably find what you’re looking for here. Continue reading as I share with you the most asked questions in relation to tax returns. If you don’t see the answer to your question below, shoot me an email, and I will do my best to respond as soon as possible.

What is the 2023 tax return deadline?

If you plan to lodge your own tax return in 2023, you have until 31 October 2023 to do so. However, if you avail of the services of a tax accountant (Registered Tax Agent) to lodge your 2023 tax return, you have until 15 May 2024, almost an entire year past the 2022-2023 financial year.

There are concessions for individuals, partnerships, and trusts to lodge tax returns past 15 May 2024, which you can find out about here.

If you are the owner of a registered company or super fund, a separate tax return will need to be lodged. You can find the important due dates here.

Will I be penalised for late tax return lodgement?

Fees may apply if you fail to lodge a tax return by the 2023 tax return deadline. The ATO may issue a default assessment warning letter or a “failure to lodge on time penalty” (FTL) if you are a small business. The FTL penalty fee is $275 per 28 days past the deadline date. Learn more here.

You are more likely to be penalised if you have more than one tax return outstanding or have poor lodgement history.

What are the tax rates for 2022-2023?

Tax rates remain unchanged for the 2022-2023 financial year and are as follows:

 $18,201 to $45,000 19c for each $1 over $18,200
 $45,001 to $120,000 $5,092 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $45,000
 $120,001 to $180,000 $29,467 plus 37c for each $1 over $120,000
 $180,001 and over $51,667 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

If you need help trying to calculate your income tax, please refer to my earlier post, ‘How to Calculate Income Tax for Individuals’.

How do I do my tax return?

There are various ways to lodge a tax return. You can lodge it yourself, online, using myTax, or you can lodge a paper tax return. Alternatively, a Registered Tax Agent such as Grow Advisory Group can lodge it on your behalf.

Individuals with complex tax returns – those with trusts and companies, for example, usually engage an accountant to complete and lodge their tax returns.

How do I get my tax refund?

In order to get a tax refund, a tax return needs first to be lodged. It then needs to be processed.

You can track the progress of your tax return through your myGov account, regardless of whether you lodged it yourself or had Grow Advisory Group lodge it on your behalf.

Your tax return will have one of the following statuses:

  • In progress – Processing
  • In progress – Information pending
  • In progress – Under review
  • In progress – Balancing account
  • Cancelled
  • Issued – $ Amount

You can find out more about the process and these statutes on the ATO website.

When do I get my tax refund?

Tax refunds are issued once your tax return has been processed, and myGov shows the status as ‘Issued’. Tax returns that are lodged through myTax take around two weeks to be processed. Paper tax returns can take as long as ten weeks to be processed; some may even take longer. If you have Grow Advisory Group lodge your tax return, it will be processed within 30 days of the lodgement date.

Your myGov account will show the date for payment and whether you’re entitled to a refund. If you provide your bank details, your refund will be paid directly into your account.

Can I change my tax return after it’s been filed?

Yes! Thankfully you can. If you have made a mistake on an already-lodged tax return, you can request an amendment to be made. There are, however, time limits as to when amendments can be made. It is generally two years for individuals and small businesses and four years for other taxpayers.

If your amendment results in you owing more tax, it will be treated as a voluntary disclosure and will still need to be paid. If it reduces your tax, you will receive an additional tax refund for the money owed.

What documents do I need to do my tax return?

Tax returns take time and require a lot of information. In order to complete a tax return and receive the maximum tax refund you are entitled to, you need to produce a number of documents, including those relating to income, work expenses, and other records. The required documents will likely differ depending on the industry you work within.

To give you an idea of the documents needed, below is an example of what would be needed to lodge a simple individual tax return. Trust and Company tax returns require additional documents.

Income Documents

  • PAYG Summaries
  • Government / Pension payments/allowances
  • Dividend statements
  • Bank interest report
  • Business income statement
  • Rental property income statement
  • All other income earned

Work Expenses (receipts)

  • Work Tools and equipment
  • Office stationery and running costs
  • Phone and Internet costs
  • Work Travel and accommodation costs
  • Word-related educational costs
  • Work uniform costs
  • Car and petrol costs

Other Documents

  • Donation receipts
  • Income protection insurance details
  • Private health insurance details
  • Rental property expenses
  • Other investment expenses
  • Spouse details
  • Children’s details
  • Last year’s tax return fee

What tax deductions can I claim in 2023?

Possible tax deductions generally include expenses derived from a service or product directly related to your work or income-generating activity. This casts a wide net, but tread lightly. There are strict guidelines as to what should and should not be claimed as a tax deduction.

General items are those mentioned above. Phone and internet expenses, computer and home office expenses, car and travel expenses, work uniform and occupation-specific clothing expenses, education expenses, and donations over $2 can be claimed as a tax deduction in 2023.

It’s always best to seek professional advice to ensure you claim everything you are entitled to and nothing more. Grow Advisory Group offer tax advice and will ensure you receive the biggest possible tax refund should you seek our services.


Completing a tax return for the 2022-2023 financial year will be much the same as previous years, with no changes to the tax rates.

This article answers the most popular questions, such as the lodgement deadline, lodgment options, claimable expenses, and other important information to help you complete your tax return in 2023.

To alleviate the stress of completing your tax return correctly, and to ensure you receive the biggest possible tax refund, give Grow Advisory Group a call. As registered tax agents, we can handle all your tax return preparation and lodgement needs. All you need to do is sit back and wait for your refund.

Contact our Nerang or Tweed Heads office if you have any further questions.

Contact Us Today!

    Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is general in nature and does not take into account your personal situation. You should consider whether the information is appropriate to your needs, and where appropriate, seek professional advice from an accountant and/or financial adviser.

    Experience the Grow Advisory Difference

    Book a free consultation today.


    Grow Investment Group ABN 55 649 038 460, Grow Advisory Group Tax agent ABN 50 633 876 490 are part of the Grow Advisory Group ABN 59 630 318 535. Licensing Statement: Grow Investment Group is a Credit Representative 418758 is authorised under Australian Credit Licence 486112

    The information provided on this website is for general education purposes only and is not intended to constitute specialist or personal advice. This website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of this, you should consider the appropriateness of the advice to your own situation and needs before taking any action. It should not be relied upon for the purposes of entering into any legal or financial commitments. Specific investment advice should be obtained from a suitably qualified professional before adopting any investment strategy.